Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Show and Tell: Pattern Review- V8436

As I mentioned on Monday, I took last weekend to make something that I've sort of been putting off.  I don't know why because I actually love making coats and jackets.  It's the one garment that I actually take my time with and really try to do things properly on.

This is the pattern I used:


Unfortunately, this pattern is no longer in print, but if you have it in your stock and haven't tried it yet I definitely recommend that you give it a go. 

I love this pattern for three reasons:
-it fits me like a glove
-it's fairly easy and comes together quickly
-I can't resist a good bishops sleeve

bishop sleeve
Source

I think a bishops sleeve is the prettiest, most elegant, most feminine sleeve you can use.

I went with view B because I liked the collar too.  It's warming up here, but my walk to work in the mornings is still pretty chilly so I didn't think an open neck would be very comfortable.

Vogue patterns can be a little intimidating for some home sewers but this one really is very easy.  The collar goes on with no tricks or special cutting, the lining closes everything in quickly (even the bottom hem), and unless you want to add embellishments, there are no tricky zippers or button holes to worry about.

with unfinished sleeves

You know it's  time to stop sewing and go to bed when you
snip your finger instead of the thread!

Even after everything I just said about Bishops sleeves I was actually very tempted to leave the cuff off of the sleeves and just do a bell type sleeve.  After alot of back and forth though I decided to save that for another time.

I used a beautiful mustard yellow wool for the outer jacket and a pretty tone on tone deep purple pinstripe lining for inside.  I love to do contrasting linings.  I think it adds something special, even if I'm the only that see's it.

                                       

I think it looks great dressed up or down.  I can't really do my hippy dippy chick thing at work so I tend to go for a more classic style, especially when I have meetings out of the office.

I had made this jacket a couple of seasons ago in a very supple tweedy fabric.
      

I even made the skirt to match.  I don't think I've ever worn the two together but now that I see it as a suit it really doesn't look all that bad.

The linings:


You can do so many things to this to make this jacket your own.  You could add a button or large brooch to close it, add a military flare with buttons down the front edge, use a super wide matching ribbon for the belt, the sky's the limit.  I think I'll make this one more time with some heavy weight Jersey for a more relaxed look and maybe convert the bishops to bells.  We'll see.


Leave a comment below and let me know your thoughts.  (Do you think Angelina Jolie would've worn this in The Tourist ???)

18 comments:

The SPANGLER said...

wow! LOVE the darker jacket worn with the matching suit skirt - it looks fabulous, very flattering! The mustard looks great too though.
Cheers
The Spangler @ The Quick Unpick

Rebecca @ My Girlish Whims said...

this is STUNNING!!!! i love it!! awesome job :) Thanks for linking up to Your Whims Wednesday!!

Abby said...

Amazing sewing job! Looks so well made and fits you so well!

Mrs. No-No said...

Stunning! ..and you are such a good model ;)
Found you on Free Pretty Things for You. Looking forward to seeing more! Come by and visit when you have time.
Carla at Mrs. No-No Knows
www.twitter.com/mrsnonoknows
www.facebook.com/mrsnonoknows

~Beth D. said...

BeautifuL!

Meri said...

So beautiful!! The yellow is an amazing color :)

~meri

Fonda @Southern Scraps said...

Both jackets are amazing! And I would wear the dark one with the matching skirt- makes a great suit.

Autumn @ Graceful Rantings of a Clutz said...

Am in love with your jackets!!!! Very talented! Need to make me one! If I start now, I might be done in time for the fall! Thanks for the inspiration!
(jacshembree.blogspot.com)

Alethia said...

Your jackets are truly amazing~ beautifully done!!

Anonymous said...

You look gorgeous.... Love the jackets!

Sbb1 Wellness said...

I absolutely love the sleeves on that jacket. I must get that pattern TODAY!
I'm a new follower, hope you will stop by and enjoy my blog as much:
http://slipstitchesandmore.blogspot.com

Jan said...

Fabulous jacket. You did a great job. Love the lining.

Unknown said...

Absolutely breath taking jacket... You were right. It really does fit you like a glove.

nicolette {momnivores dilemma} said...

Tamara-

Love the color and the cut...you have an eye for coats!

Thanks for sharing at Creative Juice Thursday...Hope to see you back again this week!

WobiSobi said...

This is truly amazing. LOVE all it it!! you are a perfect model!!!!so beautiful!!!

Mayya @ Sew Chic and Unique said...

Beautiful really gorgeous i cant wait to start creating my own garments...which brings me to ask you what pattern, books would you recommend for someone wanting to try and make their own clothes.

Etcetorize said...

Thanks for all of the nice comments everyone! Mayya, what a timely question. I'll be doing a sewing book review post this week, make sure to come back to check it out~

Christie said...

Wow, that looks great! I love that fabric

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...