Monday, December 5, 2011

Ornament Challenge: 3 Turtle Doves

If you checked in yesterday you'll know that my friend Gen from Cabin Fevered Gem has challenged me to a Christmas Ornament Challenge, produce 7 ornaments in 7 days.

Today is day two and I'm making not one, not two, but THREE bird ornaments.  I have no clue what turtle doves look like but I'm calling these things turtle doves~

Materials
I don't have a pretty picture of the supplies because my original plan for this ornament went awry pretty quickly, but here's what you need:
-scrapbook paper
-glue
-scissors
-ribbon
-pencil
-embellishments
-paper doilies

Steps:
1) Print out or draw a bird shape similar to below to use as a template.  You can use regular old printer paper.


2) Use your template to cut out two birds from your pretty scrapbook paper.


Remember to flip your template so that you have two facing opposite ways.



3) For this first bird, I used Alene's tacky glue to stick the two bird pieces together, wrong sides facing.


4) Set your bird body aside and cut a small sized paper doily in half.



5) Coat each doily half in glue, one at a time or you glue will dry too quickly.


6) Coat your doily half in glitter.


7) Add a bead of glue along the top of the bird's body.


8) Line up the edge of one of your paper doily pieces with the bead of glue.  Your glue strip should be slightly narrower than the doily.  This allows you to scrunch it up.  Don't worry about wrinkles, just scrunch it on there and press down. 


5) Cut a piece of ribbon about 4"-6" long and glue to the wing (the paper doily).  This is what you'll hang your ornament with.  Then you can just add some glitter or rhinestones for the eyes.

So, that's one down.  But I wasn't totally over the moon with the result so I thought I'd make another one using Mod Podge instead of Tacky glue...so much easier to put together.


I still used the tacky glue to adhere the wing to the body but to attach the bodies together and to add glitter I used Mod Podge.

I love how this one turned out!


Not sure if you can tell but, it's a sort of iridescent white glitter on the wings.  Oooooh la la~

So, even though I was happy with two turtle doves I thought I could probably kick it up one more notch.

This time I used Dimensional Mod Podge on the right side of the bird body to get a really shiny and slick finish on it.


Once it dried it was super shiny!


Love it!

You can use any shape, any colours, and any embellishments to really personalize yours.  The sky is the limit.  They're so simple but I think they're so pretty.

DIY Christmas ornaments, Mod Podge, Crafting, Turtle Doves, Dimensional Mod Podge, Aleene's Tacky Glue, Christmas ornament, Paper ornament, DIY paper crafts

Don't forget to head over to Cabin Fevered Gem to see what she came up with.

Are you participating in the Christmas Ornament Challenge? You can link up your creations on the Make It Great Linky party.  It's open all week!

And don't forget to enter the surprise giveaway HERE .  Good luck~


8 comments:

Gen said...

Very cute! I love that you used doillies! Already looking forward to tomorrow.
Gen

Amber said...

Those are adorable!! Love them! Thanks so much for stopping by my blog and entering "The Help" giveaway. I love Elf as well! Such a funny movie! Time dedicated to family is the best! Thanks for sharing. Have a great day!

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

How Cute :) Love it!!

melissa said...

These are gorgeous! I'll definitely have to have a go at these for my tree! :))

Jamie @ DIY Home Sweet Home said...

Those are beautiful. Love the lace wings.
Jamie
http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/
P.S. I have a giveaway going on. Come over and check it out.

Audrey @ DefrumpMe said...

Such a creative idea, and the birds turned out lovely!

Alissa@CraftyEndeavor said...

These turned out great!

Kerryanne @ Shabby Art Boutique said...

Very Cute - Thanks for linking to the Simply Christmas inspiration Party at Shabby Art Boutique.
Festive hugs ~ Kerryanne

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...