Friday, June 8, 2012

Easy Summertime Purse

A simple Google search will show you all kinds of neat and interesting ways to use embroidery hoops:

And today, I'm going to show you one more fun idea!

Here's what you need:


Steps:
1) Separate your hoops so that you have two and tighten the one with the screw as small as it will go.
 (I'm using 10" (25.5cm) hoops, but you can use any size.)

2) Run a bit of hot glue down the centre of your hoop and start wrapping your hemp cording
around it. 



3) In very small sections, add a bit of hot glue to the inside of your hoop, and wrap the hemp cording tightly around.  Keep the glue on the inside.  It will seep through a bit and is less noticeable when it's only on the inside.


You can get really creative and use macrame knots instead. Or, if you're really industrious, try embroidery thread. It comes in way more colours, but it's much finer, so you'll need a lot more.

3) Secure the end of your cording with the glue and set aside.

Now, we're going to make a purse body to go with your lovely new handles that you just made, with a lovely scarf.

4) Fold your scarf in half and then fold the long edges over about 2.5" and press.

 Now, most patterns will tell you to sew your sides first, but if you do that you'll have a very difficult time sewing your circular handles onto your purse, trust me, it's not fun.  The first one will go on OK but the second one will have to be handsewn, and then it will look wonky because they're different.

Soooooooooooo, leave your sides alone for now.

5) Pin the edge you just pressed around one of your covered hoops.


7) Sew each edge down, keeping your hoops to the left of the sewing machine and far away from your needle.

8) OK, now you can you sew your sides together.  With right sides together, sew your scarf together, leaving approximately 4" at the top separated.  If you go too close to the top it will be difficult to open your purse.


9) Remember one of your hoops has a little closure on it, so slide it around until it's hidden inside your fabric.

Guess what...That's it!  You've got yourself a new bag with one of a kind handles!
embroidery hoops, make your own purse handles, how to make a bag, DIY purse, scarf to bag, scarf recycle, scarf refashion, easy sewing project, easiest bag ever

Sew easy!
I went back and forth on adding a lining, which wouldn't be difficult at all, but I just felt very lazy and went for this super duper easy version instead.  If anyone has questions about adding a lining you can email me and I'll try to help you as best I can.
Have a crafty weekend everyone!
This project was featured here:

five days five ways | because every day is different   

Don't forget...you only have until Wednesday, June 13th to enter the Martha Stewart Banners and Tags giveaway!

23 comments:

Fifi said...

Oh MY!! this is awesome! I love it.

I am defintely going to try this!!

Thank you for sharing.

ana@carpe_diem said...

wonderful idea! you made it look so simple; I will definitely try :)

Little City Farm said...

That is so sweet. How in the world did you come up with that!!!

blissfulsewing said...

Wow!This is awesome,i would love to try something like this.
www.blissfulsewing.blogspot.com

Stacy Sews and Schools said...

WOW!! AWESOME idea! I love it!! Definitely going to try this out!! Thank you for sharing it!!

Crafty Brooklyn Army Wife said...

Very cute!! TFS!! Stopping by from Funky Junk Interiors linky party.

Here is what I shared: http://craftybrooklynarmywife.blogspot.ca/2012/06/kids-roll-up-nap-blanket.html

Jess_LyMi said...

I love this and I love the fabric you chose. The tutorial seems so simple. This is definitely on my DIY list!

Jess
http://thedelightfulcrafter.blogspot.com

Lori said...

Very cool and gorgeous!

Wendy said...

What a fab idea for bag handles!!

Jill said...

What a cute bag Tamara! Great idea for the handles!


Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Abbie said...

Featuring your fun summertime bag for Want to Try it Tuesday today! : )

Anne Maskell said...

This is a great idea! I have dozens of old embroidery hoops laying around, and now I know what to use some of them for!

Unknown said...

So cute! I don't sew much, but I love making purses. I will definitely try this.

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

Thanks so much for linking up this is gorgeous. I just wanted to let you know that I'm featuring this today feel free to stop by and grab a button. I can't wait to see what you have to share this week.

Marissa
http://raegunwear.blogspot.com

Pati @ A Crafty Escape said...

You just made me want to run to the thrift store to look for supplies. I LOVE this!

Ana Love Craft said...

I'm amaizing! Love it and I'm going to try make a bag like this!!

A hug from Lisboa-Portugal
Ana Lopes

www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

Adorned From Above said...

I loved this purse. I have featured you on my blog today in my Friday Favorite Blog Links. Take a look and it would be great if you could post the link that I created in the post in your blog.

Sincerely,
Debi Bolocofsky
Adorned From Above
www.adornedfromabove.com

Jessica at Me Sew Crazy said...

oh goodness, I just stumbled on this thanks to Pinterest - and I love it!! What a pretty purse! Thank you so much for sharing.

- Jess
MeSewCrazy.com
SewSet.com

Darby said...

This is a great tutorial! My husband's grandmother passed away and had tons of scarves. I've made a purse for his mom and each of his sisters for Christmas. I know they're going to love them!

Unknown said...

What a fantastic idea! I am always looking for something to use for my purses and NEVER thought of this. I loved it so much I featured it on my blog today with a direct link back to here: http://whittskitsfabricscrafts.blogspot.com/2013/05/find-it-free-friday-what-to-do-with.html
Thanks!
Carrie

Lady Dragoness said...

This is way beyond cute! I want to make one, but I'd have to line it, because it would not hold up to the heavy use I forsee otherwise.

I'll have to dig into my fabric stash regardless, not only for the lining, but also because I don't have a scarf I'm willing to donate to the cause.

Unknown said...

I love your idea! Congrats on a fun, new, awesome summer purse! :) I was just wondering if you used a square scarf..it looks like you did.

Anna~
misscreativethinker at gmail.com

Jeanie W. said...

Thank you very much for sharing your project. This lovely bag is next on my list. I have scarves I can use. So pleased I found this.

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...