Friday, October 5, 2012

Recycled Magnets

I made a big decision recently.  I'm going to brave out this year's tough Canadian winter and not take a hot weather holiday.  Boo hoo.  But it's not all sad.  Instead of going away I got some new and badly needed kitchen appliances.  They're stainless steel and oh so pretty in my kitchen.

My fridge magnets, on the other hand, were not so pretty.  So...time to recycle!

Here's what you need to make your own:

Materials:
-Mod Podge and sponge brush
-knife or scissors
-old flat magnets
-scrapbooking paper and embellishments
-optional: straight edge, pop dots

Before we start I have to show you the steal of a deal I got on this paper pad:


There were three pads all packaged together...for $3.00!!!! 
 I know, I know, I don't need three of the same pad of paper
 but it was too cute, and too cheap, to pass up~

OK, on the with the project,
Steps:
1) Cut out a piece of paper to fit your ugly magnet.


2) Paint a layer of regular Mod Podge onto the top of your ugly magnet and adhere your piece of paper.


3) On top, paint a layer of beautiful Sparkle Mod Podge.


4) Don't forget to add some Sparkle Mod Podge and ink up the edges of your embellishments before you add them.

5) Using Mod Podge and pop dots secure your embellishments.


My cats were behaving pretty good the day I made these so I had to use this paper.  But then my eye caught  another stack in my stash and I went in a whole other direction.


I added some sparkly gems and now they're so bright and pretty on my new fridge!



And most they hold up my very important documents~


Have fun making your own!  I can't wait to make some special holiday ones with some pretty Christmas papers I have.

8 comments:

ana@carpe_diem said...

great looking magnets!

Pam @Threading My Way said...

Great idea to pretty up all those advertising magnets, Tamara... simple, but effective. I'm pinning this.

Seaweed and Raine said...

Much better than advertising on your fridge! You have some very pretty card stock. Enjoy playing with your new supplies! :)
Sheree

www.seaweedandraine.com

Unknown said...

Very cute idea! Thanks for sharing
Donna @onceuponasewingmachine.com

Jill said...

Such cute magnets Tamara!

Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
Hope you have a fabulous week!
Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

Jana@Transformations From the Heart said...

Hey, I have some of these magnets laying around, think I will do something with them now. Yours look fabulous. Thanks for the inspiration!

Donna Wilkes said...

Gosh, I will have to stop throwing all those annoying ad magnets away!

Katie said...

Great idea for a green craft! Thanks for sharing it at A Crafty Soiree...and I always love a great deal! Lucky you!

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...