Friday, April 12, 2013

Designer Ring Knock Off

Isn't it amazing what you find when you actually click through to the original source of something you've pinned on Pinterest?  I'm not being sarcastic.  I really mean it~

For instance, I pinned this great ring, loving it, thinking somehow, someway I would figure out a crafty way to make this interesting piece.


When I clicked through I found out that this is a designer ring from DuePunti.  It's made from silicone with a diamond embedded and runs for around $98 each.

And look at all the pretty colours it comes in!!!!

Source
Mine aren't quite as perfect and there aren't any diamonds involved but here's what I came up with:

DIY Ring, DuePunti Knockoff, Designer Knockoff, Polymer clay ring, Clay jewellery, DIY Jewellery

 
And here's all you need to make your own!

Materials:
-polymer clay
-rhinestones
-optional: clay knife, ring sizer, something to roll your clay on
-baking tray (not shown)
-access to an oven

Steps:
1) Condition a small amount of clay by rolling it around between your hands to soften it up.  (FYI.. I used the clay I received from Wholeport a couple of months ago because I've got so many fun colours and it's way softer than any other clay I've ever worked with)


2) I like to use a large tile on my work surface.  Red or black clay sometimes has so much pigment it could stain your table.

Roll out your clay into a small roll, trying to create a bit of a bulge in the middle and tapering off the ends.


3) Wrap the roll around your finger or ring sizer, snip off any extra, and gently squeeze the ends together to create a ring.


4) Embed a crystal or rhinestone by gently pressing it right into the clay.


5) Bake as per the manufacturer's instructions.  I often 'double bake' my clay pieces.  That just means I bake it once, remove it from the oven and let everything cool down completely, then bake it again (sometimes the next day).  I'm not sure if this actually makes the clay stronger or not but I like to think so.


And that's pretty much it!  You can make a whole wardrobe of rings to go with any outfit, or wear them all together~

DIY Ring, DuePunti Knockoff, Designer Knockoff, Polymer clay ring, Clay jewellery, DIY Jewellery

Mine aren't completely uniform but with a bit more practice I  might get there~

DIY Ring, DuePunti Knockoff, Designer Knockoff, Polymer clay ring, Clay jewellery, DIY Jewellery

This is a great stash buster for all of those little bits of clay you keep, just in case.

Have you heard of DuePunti rings?  Is this a trend I've completely missed or for once in my life am I ahead of the masses?  Leave a comment below~

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never heard of them, but this is cool. I literally just bought 10 things of clay yesterday. This is a great idea! =]

Anonymous said...

What a great knockoff! So easy too!

CREATIVE KHADIJA said...

perfect Tammy, these are adorable :)

Theresa said...

I have never heard of them (but that doesn't mean anything because I am not to up to date on trends) . Both the original and yours are so fun! I love the bright colors.

Diana of Diana Rambles said...

Great job! Thanks for sharing this at my Pin Me Party!

Deadhead9 said...

There is something called SUGRU that comes in pretty colors and is some sort of easily moldable silicone that would prob make these very nicely also--I am not sure where other than online to get it! There are INSTRUCTABLES on how to (easily!!!) make your own tho using a tube of caulk.

These are cute and would work well for smaller fingers on lil girls who keep losing the nice rings Grandma keeps getting!

(I have heard that I am set to "no reply" but do not know how to change this--sorry! Don't mean to be rude!)

Unknown said...

Love these! I am gonna have to try them soon :)

Linkwithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...